If you’re not already implementing HIIT into your workout regimen, you must have been living under a rock for the past 2 years.
HIIT has become the number 1 go to workout for torching body fat and improving athletic performance. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is time effective, functional, fun and seriously revs up the metabolic rate…what’s not to like! So, basically HIIT is a time interval workout. There are lots of different interval time protocols you can try, the simplest and most effective is the 30 / 30 protocol.30 seconds on (high intensity) and 30 seconds off (low intensity) for between 20 to 30 rounds depending on your fitness levels.
The key is to choose full body exercises (like burpees) using good form, plus the mind set of “go hard or go home” give it all you’ve got for 30 seconds, aiming to keep your heart rate around 160+ beats per minute throughout the entirety of the workout. HIIT is not for the faint hearted, but research has found that HIIT burns more fat than steady state cardio and keeps your body burning fat for way longer!
My 5 must do HIIT exercises you’re definitely not doing!!
1. FROG JUMP INTO PIKE PRESS-UP
2. PLYO DEADLIFT
3. SUPERMAN PLANT INTO PLANK JACKS
4. BOX PRESS BURPEE
5. REVERSE HANDSTAND WALKS
FROG JUMPS INTO PIKE PRESS-UP
By combining these well trusted body weight exercises, you can seriously amp up your HIIT workout.
– start in a crouched position with your bum to your heels and your hands shoulder width apart with your knees touching the outside of your elbows.
– jump your feet back so you land in a pike (an inverted V) position with your legs straight and heels raised off the ground.
– bend your elbows and lower your head towards the ground, press up and shoot your feet back into the start position. Repeat
This little beauty will test your balance and target your hamstrings and butt big time.
-stand on the right leg & flex forward until the left leg & chest are parallel to the floor. In one explosive movement, lift your upper body, swing the back leg forward, driving the knee up and jump in the air. Land back on the same foot and lower into the start position. Repeat
SUPERMAN PLANK INTO PLANK JACKS
Two great plank movements but once combined, expect to take your core strength to the next level.
– start in a plank position, shoulders directly over wrists, in one straight horizontal line with the body.
– simultaneously raise your left arm to shoulder hight and raise your right leg to just above hip height, whilst maintaining a straight horizontal line with your body. Repeat on the opposite side and then hold the plank position.
– jump both feet laterally out to the side and back together again. Repeat
BOX JUMP BURPEE
Amp up your standard burpee by adding a box jump and then throwing in a press-up, for a total body burn!
– standing upright on a 12-inch box or step, jump back and land on the ground in a squat position with your hands placed on the of box.
– Kick your feet out into a press -up position. Then bend your elbows and lower your upper body down and perform a press-up on the box.
– bring your feet back in and then jump onto the box. Straighten your legs and resume the upright position. Repeat
REVERSE HANDSTAND WALK
Struggling to perfect the ultimate handstand, then this exercise is the one for you! Get ready to test your core, upper body and shoulder stability to the limit.
– face away from the wall, place your heels at the base of the wall, and position yourself into a plank.
– Slowly walk your feet up the wall, walking your hands inwards, as you move up.
– try to get as close to the wall as possible, then reverse the movement and walk your hands away from the wall, and your feet back down to the ground.
– hold the plank position and repeat walking yourself up and down the wall, from plank to handstand and back.
If you’re feeling a little intimidated, or just lack the motivation to bust out a HIIT workout solo, fear not, we’ve got your back. Our FORM HIIT classes combine the latest HIIT exercises, with a functional warm up and 10 minute stretch and mindfulness component. All our FORM HIIT classes are performed in small groups, so you get full attention from one of our top Core Mentors. To book your first free class, follow the link below.