This delicious and nutritious tart is both vegan and gluten-free.
Using delicious apples – autumn’s most wonderful offering – it is packed with protein, fiber and natural sugars and the warming spices of cinnamon and nutmeg give it a gorgeous autumnal aroma. Whip this up for a teatime treat or as a perfect way to end a wholesome fireside supper.
For the crust
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
For the filling
- 3 medium apples, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease an 8-inch tart tin with coconut oil.
- Add the almond flour, oats, maple syrup, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and mix until combined. Add the coconut oil and use your fingers to work it in until coarse crumbs form and the mixture holds together when pressed.
- Combine apple slices, cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup in a bowl. Toss together until apple slices are equally coated.
- Arrange apple slices on the tart crust – if creating a rose pattern, start with the larger pieces and work your way in to the middle.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is lightly brown. Let cool completely before slicing into wedges and serving with a dollop of soy or coconut yogurt.
By Amelia Stewart of Cook First. For more of Amelia’s delightful recipes, please visit www.cookfirst.co.uk/samplerecipes.